Mellor Papers, Box 8, folder 1
The NLC is described as a ‘completely independent’ organisation ‘closely identified with the historic Liberal traditions and Liberals worldwide’. In Mellor’s time it was common for members to stay overnight at the Club if they were in London on business. This cartoon by Mellor recalls a day in early 1932 when he collapsed in his room at the Club with ‘ptomaine poisoning’, a food-borne illness caused by bacteria. ‘Peter Pan’ as Mellor was known, was taken to a private hospital where he was able to recover. It is clear from this cartoon that Mellor enjoyed the nurses’ attentions. The episode was even reported in the Evening Sentinel on 19 May 1932.
J. W. Mellor, “‘Ptomaine Poisoning’,” ourheritage.ac.nz | OUR Heritage, accessed June 2, 2023, https://ourheritage.ac.nz/items/show/8941.