Tui or Parson Bird Prosthemadera Novae Zealandiae. From: 'A history of the birds of New Zealand' by Walter Lawry Buller
ourheritage.ac.nz | OUR Heritage

Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
Collection
Simple Page

Advanced Search (Items only)

Catalogue of the Library of the Otago Institute & Museum

Files

Date

1879

Identifier

Special Collections Z976 D9 1879

Type

Publisher

Dunedin. [Dunedin]: Printed at the ‘Daily Times’, Office, Dowling Street

Abstract

After the very successful New Zealand Exhibition, held in Dunedin in 1863, a move was made to establish a local society that promoted Art, Science, Literature, and Philosophy. There was pressure to join the Wellington-based Institute. But after fierce debate, the Otago Institute was formed on 19 October 1869. There were 79 original members, and it was affiliated to the New Zealand Institute. In late June 1877, with Captain Frederick W. Hutton as secretary-in-charge, the Institute moved its headquarters to the Otago Museum buildings. A library was vital for research. Hutton was the prime mover in ordering books and he was instrumental in producing this 26-page catalogue.

Citation

Otago Institute and Museum, “Catalogue of the Library of the Otago Institute & Museum,” ourheritage.ac.nz | OUR Heritage, accessed January 22, 2022, https://ourheritage.ac.nz/items/show/11363.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Share this page