A composite photograph of the first six professors from A History of the University of Otago, 1869-1919
Brasch LG741 D8 TF32
Dunedin: J. Wilkie and Co.
On 30 September 1870, Professors John Shand (Natural Philosophy); George Sale (Classics); and Duncan Macgregor (Mental and Moral Philosophy and Political Economy), were the first appointed to the University. Later appointments included James Gow Black (Chemistry, 1872); Frederick W. Hutton (Natural Science, 1873); and George H. F. Ulrich (Director of School of Mines, 1878). Shand and Sale were up against 62 contenders each. The professorial salary was fixed at £600, and each were given £150 for their passage and general outfitting. Shand was given an extra £200 for scientific apparatus and specimens. Macgregor was funded by The Trustees for Religious and Educational Uses, and the Synod of Otago and Southland.
G.E. Thompson, “A composite photograph of the first six professors from A History of the University of Otago, 1869-1919,” ourheritage.ac.nz | OUR Heritage, accessed December 5, 2022, https://ourheritage.ac.nz/items/show/11362.