Tui or Parson Bird Prosthemadera Novae Zealandiae. From: 'A history of the birds of New Zealand' by Walter Lawry Buller
ourheritage.ac.nz | OUR Heritage

Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
Collection
Simple Page

Advanced Search (Items only)

Opening of Otago University Addresses

Files

Date

1871

Identifier

Hocken LG741 D8 O63 1871

Type

Publisher

Dunedin: Printed at the ‘Daily Times’ Office

Abstract

On 5 July 1871, the University of Otago was officially opened. Everything shut down in town after 2.00 pm. and the populace gathered about, enjoying the holiday amongst bands, choirs, and bunting. It was a truly festive occasion. The major address was given by the Chancellor, the Hon. Major Richardson; others followed, including introductory lectures by three of the newly appointed Professors: John Shand, George S. Sale, and Duncan Macgregor. In his wide-ranging talk Richardson paid his respects to Captain William Cargill and the Rev. Dr Thomas Burns, both early supporters of the establishment of a University in Otago.

Citation

Unversity of Otago, “Opening of Otago University Addresses,” ourheritage.ac.nz | OUR Heritage, accessed January 24, 2022, https://ourheritage.ac.nz/items/show/11350.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Share this page