The Hundredth Story of A. E. Coppard
Special Collections PR6005 O55 H86 1931
Waltham Saint Lawrence, Berkshire: The Golden Cockerel Press
Francis Sangorski (1875-1912) and George Sutcliffe (1878-1943) met in 1897 at a bookbinding class taught by Douglas Cockerell and both were subsequently employed by him. An economic downturn in 1901 brought retrenchment but the pair managed to set up on their own in London in the same year, trading as Sangorski & Sutcliffe (S&S). Initially S&S imitated Cockerell’s style but went on to develop their own sumptuous style which included the use of precious and semi-precious jewels and inlays and onlays of coloured leather and gilding. This S&S bound book is quarter bound in emerald green morocco (sadly not one of their jewelled bindings); the initials of the author, A. E. Coppard (1878-1957) and the Golden Cockerel Press were included on the cover paper designed by Tirzah (Eileen Lucy) Garwood (1908-1957) a talented artist and wood engraver; the binder’s stamp (pictured) has been struck on the bottom of the inside front cover.
A. E. Coppard, “The Hundredth Story of A. E. Coppard,” ourheritage.ac.nz | OUR Heritage, accessed March 23, 2023, https://ourheritage.ac.nz/items/show/7429.