Government House, Auckland, N-W view. No III.
Government House, Auckland, N-W view. No III [Copied by E.M. Hocken after John Johnson. n.d.]
Hocken Pictorial Collections - 12,956
On mount in ink in Dr Hockenís hand: Government House, Auckland, NW view T.M. Hocken; margin above image in ink: No III; on mount in ink in Dr Hockenís hand: These four most interesting sketches are copied from Mrs Hobsonís Album. The originals were drawn for her by Dr Johnson, the medical officer attached to Governor Hobsonís staff. Mrs Hobson was a Bernandan lady. Her maiden was Eliott. Government House was brought out in framework from Manningsí establishment in Holborn & was erected on the present site of Government House about the end of 1840. It was accidentally burnt down in 1840 [illeg] This front view faces the North Shore. Mount Eden is behind. T.M.H.
182 x 288 mm
watercolour & opaque white on paper (pasted to card)
Dr T.M. Hocken’s Collection.
Original is in Mrs Hobson’s album. Dr T.M. Hocken’s Collection.
Hocken, Elizabeth Mary, 1848-1933 and Johnson, John, Dr, d.1848, “Government House, Auckland, N-W view. No III.,” ourheritage.ac.nz | OUR Heritage, accessed December 1, 2023, https://ourheritage.ac.nz/items/show/5318.