Captain Bellairs’ house at corner of Frederick & Leith Streets.
Captain Bellairs’ house at corner of Frederick & Leith Streets. Reproduced by T.W. Eyton from a sketch by E.H.W. Bellairs in 1854-55. n.d.
Hocken Pictorial Collections - 12,260
Upper right (u.r.) in pencil: 13; on original mount in ink: Reproduced from a sketch painted in 1853-54 by Capt.n the Hon.ble E.H.W. Bellairs by T.W. Eyton; on original mount (in Dr Hocken’s hand: Cap. Bellair’s house at corner of Frederick & Leith Streets. v. coloured view. The house is on Sec. 29 Blk xxvy. Left hand lower corner of Frederick & Leith Streets. Afterwards dwelt in by Mr W.B.D. Mantell, then for many years by Mr John Hyde Harris. Then a boarding house with the sections cut up & in 1904 used as an orphan institution … [illeg] that removed from Bishop Nevill’s Bishopscourt Water of Leith Valley. T.M. Hocken. Line of Leith St; label: Na Te Hakena Tenei Tiki; verso printed label, inviting Mrs H to Degree ceremony, 1908, in ink: Captain Bellairs, formerly of the Queen’s Bodyguard, following a craze for pioneering, came to Otago in 1853. Selecting & naming his residence at Fern Hill, now the property of the Dunedin Club, but afterwards removing to Leith St he was appointed to a seat in the first Legislative Council for Otago & took an active interest in the local & general politics. In two or three years he retured home, commenced banking at Biarritz, and became correspondent of the Times. T.M.H.
252 x 360 mm
pen & ink on paper (pasted to card)
Dr T.M. Hocken’s Collection.
Given to Dr Hocken in 1898 by the son of Capt. E.H.W. Bellairs, Edmund H.W. Bellairs of Hatfield, Herts. Dr T.M. Hocken’s Collection.
unknown, “Captain Bellairs’ house at corner of Frederick & Leith Streets.,” ourheritage.ac.nz | OUR Heritage, accessed September 25, 2023, https://ourheritage.ac.nz/items/show/5192.