Waikouaiti church, Feb 1/63. From a drawing by L. Bradley [Copied by E.M. Hocken] 1909
Hocken Pictorial Collections - 7,564
Margin below image in ink in Mrs Hocken’s hand: Waikouaiti church, Feb 1/63. From a drawing by L. Bradley; through image in ink in Dr Hocken’s hand: Reproduced with all its faults of drawing & perspective. represents the original Church which was built in 1859 by Mr John Jones & presented by him to the Anglican Church together with 3 1/2 acres of land as site of the church & burial ground and 10 acres for the glebe & parsonage. The Rev John Albert Fenton was the first incumbent. he was followed in 1862 by the Rev Alex Dasent then Messrs Granger, F.J. Sotham, Parkes, Frere, Fraer & Hubert Jones. A considerable addition was made to the small chancel and afterwards another ugly one to the front to receive a small organ. The original contractors were Messrs Clark and Langlands, the architect Mr B.W. Mountford. Matanaka Hill. Copied Jan 7th 1909. The first Anglican Church in Otago.
197 x 249 mm
pencil on paper
Dr T.M. Hocken’s Collection.
Found uncatalogued in 1947. Dr T.M. Hocken’s Collection.
Hocken, Elizabeth Mary, 1848-1933, “Waikouaiti church, Feb 1/63. From a drawing by L. Bradley [Copied by E.M. Hocken] 1909,” ourheritage.ac.nz | OUR Heritage, accessed February 9, 2023, https://ourheritage.ac.nz/items/show/5172.