Swampy flat land, South Dunedin. 1869 South Dunedin.

Creator

Date Created

1869

Identifier

Hocken Pictorial Collections - 12,214
a11743

Description

Lower right (l.r.) in brown ink: T.L. Stanley 1869; u.r. in ink: T.M. Hocken; on mount in ink in Dr Hocken’s hand: The former swampy flat now covered by Caversham, South Dunedin, S.t Kilda, & S.t Clair. The gable of the Benevolent Institution well marks the topography of the whole. Caversham was so named by Mr William Henry Valpy who came to Dunedin in the Ajax in Jan 1849, after his mother’s birthplace near Reading. The Forbury (now known as S.t Clair) he so called after the school of his relative, A.J. Valpy, of Eton Latin Grammar fame. St Kilda was purchased, named, cut up & sold in 1862 by George Scott, a speculator from Melbourne, of which the chief seaside suburn is S.t Kilda. The Rev. Thos Litchfield Stanley, the first vicar of Caversham, drew this picture in 1869. T.M.H. Benevolent Institution. T.M. Hocken; label: Na Te Hakena Tenei Tiki.

Extent

234 x 342 mm

Medium

pencil & wash on paper (pasted to card)

Temporal Coverage

Provenance

Dr T.M. Hocken’s Collection.

Source

Dr T.M. Hocken’s Collection.

Language

eng

Files

a11743.jpg

Citation

unknown, “Swampy flat land, South Dunedin. 1869 South Dunedin.,” ourheritage.ac.nz | OUR Heritage, accessed April 21, 2024, https://ourheritage.ac.nz/items/show/4644.