The Taieri Plains, 1867. Taken from the the Upper or Halfway Bush Road leading down to the North Taieri.
Hocken Pictorial Collections - 7,475
Lower left (l.l.) with brush: G. O'Brien 1867; on mount in ink in Dr Hocken's hand: The Taieri Plains, 1867. Taken from the the Upper or Halfway Bush Road leading down to the North Taieri. Saddle Hill. T.M. Hocken; label in ink in Dr Hocken's hand: To the left & below Saddle Hill (so named by Cap. Cook) are Scrogg's Hill, after the surveyor, and the main South road just discernible. Mosgiel is not visible and indeed was hardly in existence. In the distance are the Waipori Hills & Waihola Lake & Maunga-Atua mountain a shoulder of which shows a piece of the zig-zag road leading to the Tuapeka diggings & where the highwayman Garret seized his prisoners in 1862. Near the foot was Mr James Fulton's property. The entrance to the Taieri Gorge with the Taieri River are visible, the end of the Chain Hills forming a boundary. The West Taieri ferry & Outram are here. To the extreme right is the termination of the FlagStaff The winding road passes the old racecourse & Donald Reid's farm & is in the vicinity of the Otago Central Railway. No vestige remains of the Big Bush. T.M. Hocken.
292 x 704 mm
watercolour & opaque white on paper
Dr T.M. Hocken’s Collection.
Landscapes & Cityscapes
O'Brien, George, 1821-1888, “The Taieri Plains, 1867. Taken from the the Upper or Halfway Bush Road leading down to the North Taieri.,” ourheritage.ac.nz | OUR Heritage, accessed February 4, 2023, https://ourheritage.ac.nz/items/show/4550.