c. 19th century
Mellor Collection, Otago Museum (Image copyright, Otago Museum, Dunedin)
While this floral platter-plate is termed ‘Dresden’, it was actually made in Meissen, some 25 kilometres northwest of Dresden, Germany. Almost all ‘Dresden’ porcelain was produced in Meissen and sold in Dresden, which was the cultural and economic centre of Saxony. This colourful platter-plate – once owned by Mellor – contains the distinctive blue crown Dresden mark, which was established by the industry about 1883.
Unknown, “Dresden Plate,” ourheritage.ac.nz | OUR Heritage, accessed October 1, 2020, http://ourheritage.ac.nz/items/show/9041.
This item has no relations.