Map of the Hokianga Harbour
Map of the Hokianga Harbour, n.d.
In 1823 the Wesleyan Missionary Society joined the Church Missionary Society in the Northern region of New Zealand. Initially a mission station was established at Whangaroa Harbour, against the advice of Hongi Hika and subsequently this station was abandoned in 1827. The Wesleyans were then re-established in and around the Hokianga Harbour in 1828 under the protection of the Rangatira (Chief) Patuone. This map of the Hokianga Harbour shows the number of Wesleyan Chapels in the Hokianga as well as the extent of cultivations in the area.
“Map of the Hokianga Harbour,” ourheritage.ac.nz | OUR Heritage, accessed June 7, 2020, http://ourheritage.ac.nz/items/show/6323.
This item has no relations.