Tui or Parson Bird Prosthemadera Novae Zealandiae. From: 'A history of the birds of New Zealand' by Walter Lawry Buller
ourheritage.ac.nz | OUR Heritage

Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
Collection
Simple Page

Advanced Search (Items only)

Ruins of the Rev. J.F. Wohlers

Files

Date Created

1895

Identifier

Hocken Pictorial Collections - 12,345 a
a10214

Description

Lower left (l.l.) in ink in Dr Hockenís hand: E.M. Hocken del; l.c. in ink in Dr Hockenís hand: Ruins of the Rev. J.F. Wohlerís [sic] house, Ruapuke Island (March 1895); on mount in ink: T.M. Hocken; label: Na Te Hakena Tenei Tiki; label in ink in Dr Hockenís hand: In 1843, the NZ Company brought out many German emigrants from Hamburgh in the St Pauli for Nelson, amongst them was the Rev J.F.H. Wohlers of the North German Missionary Society, who finally settled at Ruapuke in the middle of May 1844 & was greatly aided by the well-known surveyor, Frederick Tuckett. Here he laboured amongst the natives until the time of his death in 1885. Here he was surrounded by the greatest hardships & abject privations, his sole break & holiday was a voyage in an open boat to Nelson in 1849, where he married a widow, Mrs Elise Palmer, by whom he had a daughter, afterwatrds married to Mr Arthur Traill of Stewarts Island. He contributed valuable papers on mythology to the Transactions of the NZ Institute. His interesting life has been written by Mr John Houghton. T.M.H.

Item Dimensions

254 x 355 mm

Technique

watercolour on paper (pasted to card)

Provenance

Dr T.M. Hocken’s Collection.

Source

Dr T.M. Hocken’s Collection.

Citation

Hocken, Elizabeth Mary, 1848-1933, “Ruins of the Rev. J.F. Wohlers,” ourheritage.ac.nz | OUR Heritage, accessed December 10, 2018, http://ourheritage.ac.nz/items/show/4497.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Share this page